Studying abroad is a big commitment that will take planning and saving! Your best friends from school are not all going to be able to join you on your journey. Maybe you won’t know anyone when you head overseas. After you check into your apartment from Study Abroad Apartments, you will need to make some friends to travel with and explore the city. Here are 5 tips on how to make friends when you study abroad.
1. Attend the orientation activities that your school provides. These events are created to integrate you into the campus and classroom expectations but they also give you a common area to socialize with other abroad students. Ask people where they are from and what their travel plans are to break the ice.
2. Go to your classes and talk to people you sit next to. Surely they are also looking to meet people or are just as confused with the professors accent as you are. You might even help each other out by starting a conversation about the final exam or when the midterm essay is due.
3. Inquire about parties or events hosted by your university’s abroad program. The advisors know that students need to meet people and are inclined to socialize so they plan events which promote this kind of activity. Go to your abroad office and see what they have planned for the semester.
4. Couchsurfing is an app that shows you what other travelers are in the area. It even includes a meet-up feature for specific activities like yoga or exploring a certain part of a city. Once you join you are able to chat with the other travelers in order to plan an activity together.
5. Language meetups on Facebook are easy to find and are good if you need to work on your second language. Usually these occur in public parks or bars with other foreigners. Message in the group or look to see when they are meeting and you are sure to meet some like minded people!
These 5 tips are sure to expose you to students that are in the same situation as you. Making friends will be easy during your abroad semester!
Are you about to embark on the trip of a lifetime? Study Abroad Apartments offers some great options for students planning to study abroad. Just get in touch with us if you need any help finding somewhere to stay and we’ll make sure you have one of the best options out there!